PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.


– Not Just Another Case Number

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Divorce
  4.  » Will you have to pay manimony to your former husband?

Will you have to pay manimony to your former husband?

On Behalf of | Mar 24, 2019 | Divorce, Firm News |

If you are a married Nebraska woman who earns as much as or more than your husband does, it may shock you to learn that you may have to pay him spousal support in the event of a divorce. nicknames this new spousal support phenomenon manimony.

Today divorce court judges only award manimony in about 15 percent of divorce cases, but this percentage is sure to rise as more and more women attain high-paying jobs that rival or exceed those of their husbands. It may also surprise you to learn that in over 40 percent of American homes, the woman represents the major or only breadwinner. Another statistic shows that more than 2 million American men are now stay-at-home husbands and fathers.

Manimony considerations

Should you and your husband divorce and he asks for spousal support, the judge will consider many factors before granting the award and its amount, including the following:

  • How much difference exists between your current income and that of your husband
  • How much difference exists between what you and your husband can expect to earn in the future
  • How much difference exists between your education level and that of your husband
  • How much additional education or training your husband needs to equal your earning capacity
  • The value of your husband’s nonfinancial contributions to the marriage
  • The length of your marriage

Manimony duration considerations

Most courts grant spousal support awards, manimony or otherwise, for a maximum of 10 years. In addition, they usually allow for cessation of payments in the event the receiving spouse remarries or completes his or her additional education or training.

This is general educational information and not intended to provide legal advice.