PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.


– Not Just Another Case Number

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Firm News
  4.  » How do I modify my parenting plan?

How do I modify my parenting plan?

On Behalf of | Nov 25, 2019 | Firm News |

During your divorce in Nebraska, you created a parenting plan outlining the details of your child custody arrangement. This plan included a lot of information about when the children would be with you and when they would be with the other parent. It probably outlined holiday schedules and other details pertaining to the children. Since people change and situations change, there may come a time when you want to change something about your parenting plan. The law allows for this to happen. 

The State of Nebraska Judicial Branch explains you may request a modification of your parenting plan if you have a significant change that prompts this request. Any changes must also be to the benefit of your children. Requesting to reduce the time they spend with you, for example, may not be in their best interests and could derail a modification request. 

To begin a modification, you have to file a complaint with the court asking for the specific changes you wish to make to the existing plan. You will also pay a filing fee and must notify the other parent of your request. The court may require various things from you before hearing your case or finalizing the new parenting plan. This may include ordering you to take a parenting class or go to mediation. 

Requesting modification does not guarantee the court will grant the request. This is especially true if there have been no changes in your circumstances or the changes you request will be detrimental to the children. This information is for education and is not legal advice.