PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.


– Not Just Another Case Number

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » Can you intervene in a paternity case in Nebraska?

Can you intervene in a paternity case in Nebraska?

On Behalf of | Jun 30, 2021 | Child Custody |

The state of Nebraska has put in place laws that protect the relationship between parents and their children. Since it is an obligation for parents to provide for their children’s basic needs, paternity cases are quite serious in family court. Read on to find out if it is possible to intervene in paternity cases.

Paternity in Nebraska

The establishment of paternity in Nebraska happens in one of two ways. Initially, you are presumed to be the father under the following conditions:

  • If you were living with the biological mother 44 to 20 weeks before the child was born
  • If you declare that you are the parent
  • If your name is on the birth certificate
  • If you were married to the mother when she conceived the child

You can intervene in a paternity case to clear all the above presumptions by requesting the court to order a paternity test. The judge will direct you to an accredited laboratory to do the DNA test.

The second way of establishing paternity in Nebraska is by signing the “Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity” in the presence of a legally authorized person. Before doing this, both parents must agree to be the child’s parents. In addition, a sibling, grandparents, department of social services or any other guardian can file a petition to be the official paternal parent of the child before they turn 18.

When is legal assistance necessary?

It’s understandable to want to be connected and involved with the life of your child. Paternity and child custody cases are very sensitive and require the best possible approach to avoid legal issues that could lead to the alienation of your child. It may be helpful to receive guidance from a family law attorney who knows how the legal system works.